COVID-19 update: please visit our home page for updates on our services during the coronavirus pandemic
Eastwood House was built in the early 1840s and sits on the grounds of an ancient forest only felled in the 18th century. Eastwood House and the surrounding estate were purchased by Thomas Smith, a wealthy Glasgow merchant, in 1845. It then passed through the hands of many wealthy businessmen including David Tod of Tod & McGregor's shipbuilding. One of the most well-known owners was William Weir who founded the Cathcart engineers G&J Weir. His business is still around today, now known as Weir Pumps. Weir was made a lord after the First World War for his contribution to the Ministry of Munitions. During his residency Eastwood House hosted many fetes with celebrities such as Laurel and Hardy and the politician Stanley Baldwin. Even royalty has graced the house. King George V and Queen Mary "parked" their royal car at Whitecraigs railway station nearby during their visit to Eastwood House.
In 1968, Renfrew County Council acquired the house and it was formerly reopened by Lord Lieutenant Viscount Muirshiel in 1976 after a much needed refurbishment. Into the 1980s the surrounding estate was maintained with greenhouses that provided food for the house inhabitants. The chimney that provided for the greenhouses stood until 2014.
Eastwood House has long been used as a community space and is our most popular venue for all types of special events including weddings, christening parties, and social functions as well as accommodating training days and events for East Renfrewshire Council and local businesses.
Photographs with an asterix(*) by Iain Lawless @the.lawless.life
Carmichael Hall was named after David Carmichael who was chairman of the district council from 1952 until 1967. His vision of having community halls for local people to enjoy sports and recreation was honoured with the opening of Eastwood Recreation Centre in 1973. Today this space is known as Eastwood Park which encapsulates the theatre, sports centre and Carmichael Hall all under one roof.
Clarkston Hall was opened by the First District of the County of Renfrew, in 1960.
Glen Hall is an Edwardian style building built in 1899 and situated in the small town of Neilston just a short 20 minute drive from Eastwood House.
Margaret Pollok, a local to Neilston, married Captain Glen of Carlibar House. Captain Glen tragically died after a short illness and Margaret Pollok Glen then moved into this house where she dwelled alone for over 40 years. 'Lady Glen' as she became known due to her charitable endeavours for the local community, came into money from her Uncle who was a successful merchant in St Petersburg. As she had known humble beginnings she spent her whole life giving to the community. Her funding allowed Glen Hall to be built in 1899. Originally called the Glen Memorial Hall, dedicated to her late husband, it became an important space for the locals to attend dances and theatre shows. The Cowdenhall Dramatic Club held their concerts here, the church choir had dances here, and the local Curlers had their annual ball here.The original sandstone veneer is intact, though due to a fire in 1988, the roof had to be completely renewed.