What are the priorities for Active Schools?
Active Schools is a key part of supporting sportscotland’s World Class Sporting System and has three key areas for development:
- Provide high quality opportunities in sport in schools (before school, during lunchtime and after school).
- Engage with children and young people who may experience barriers to participation to support their inclusion in activity.
- Create an events schedule to motivate, inspire, and encourage participation in sport over and above extra –curricular programmes.
- Support and develop effective pathways between schools and clubs to improve the transition of children and young people from schools to clubs.
- Grow and develop a network of people to deliver opportunities within schools ensuring they have the confidence, skills and knowledge to deliver quality sporting opportunities.
- Provide a lasting legacy of confident, knowledgeable and experienced young people who will strengthen the sporting system
- Create and implement an annual training programme to support and develop our workforce.
- Strengthen our relationships with internal and external stakeholders to demonstrate the impact of Active Schools.
- Raise awareness and understanding of Active Schools and impact amongst key stakeholders and the wider community.
- Improve the connections between Active Schools and key stakeholders and in particular the professional staff within these establishments.