Information and Advice
If you’d like to learn more about what’s happening in your area, or you need some assistance promoting your community group or event, libraries are a great place to start. We can help you:
- by displaying posters and leaflets on notice boards and in community information folders
- by displaying adverts on the library plasma screens
- by giving you access to the community rooms in Barrhead, Clarkston, Giffnock and Mearns libraries
To learn more about the support available to community groups please contact your local library.
Getting back to work
If you’re thinking about a career change or you’re looking for a new job, your local library can help you on your way. We can offer you:
- free access to computers and the internet
- knowledgeable and friendly staff who can help you to use the computers, set-up email accounts and get online
- free introductory computing courses covering mouse and keyboard skills, basic internet, email and word-processing skills (a non-refundable £2 admin fee applies for each class or course booked)
- a free digital skills information session with friendly and knowledgeable staff who can help you identify the best learning opportunities for you
- recommended free online learning tools to learn and improve your digital skills
- free WiFi
- printing and scanning facilities
- books to help improve your reading and language skills, help you write your C.V. and pass that all important interview
- books in a range of community languages
- magazines and newspapers
We can also direct you to other local agencies that can offer you additional support in securing employment.
Skills Development Scotland and the Business Innovation Centre are both based within Barrhead Foundry and offer a range of practical advice to workers and businesses alike. WorkEastRen are also based within Barrhead Foundry and offer information sessions in libraries throughout East Renfrewshire. Adult Learning can help you to improve your reading and writing skill and support you get ready for work.
|Digital Skills Information Session|
Book a free digital skills information session with friendly and knowledgeable staff who can help you identify the best learning opportunities available at your local library.
|Clarkston, Giffnock and Mearns Libraries and the Library within Barrhead Foundry||Various||Various|
Book an appointment with a friendly WorkEastRen advisor on 0141 577 8438 for advice on getting back to work, training opportunities, benefits information, interview skills and much more
|Clarkston Library||Every Tuesday||10am – 12pm|
|Neilston Library||Every Wednesday||10am – 12.30pm|
|Mearns Library||Every Thursday||9.30am – 12.30pm|
|Giffnock Library||Every Friday||10am – 12.30pm|